Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Ajay G and Arvind B. Genistein: A multipurpose isoflavone. International Journal of Green Pharmacy Year: 2009 Vol: 3 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 176-183. 2009.
- Amadou I, Yong-Hui S, Sun J et al. Fermented Soybean Products: Some Methods, Antioxidants Compound Extraction and their Scavenging Activity. Asian Journal of Biochemistry Year: 2009 Vol: 4 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 68-76. 2009.
- Anderson JW and Bush HM. Soy protein effects on serum lipoproteins: a quality assessment and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled studies. J Am Coll Nutr. 2011 Apr;30(2):79-91. 2011.
- Bahlai CA, Xue Y, McCreary CM et al. Choosing Organic Pesticides over Synthetic Pesticides May Not Effectively Mitigate Environmental Risk in Soybeans. PLoS One. 2010; 5(6): e11250. Published online 2010 June 22. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0011250. 2010.
- Barnes S. The Biochemistry, Chemistry and Physiology of the Isoflavones in Soybeans and their Food Products. Lymphat Res Biol. 2010 March; 8(1): 89—98. 2010.
- Butler LM, Wu AH, Wang R et al. A vegetable-fruit-soy dietary pattern protects against breast cancer among postmenopausal Singapore Chinese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 April; 91(4): 1013—1019. 2010.
- Chai C, Ju HK, Kim SC et al. Determination of bioactive compounds in fermented soybean products using GC/MS and further investigation of correlation of their bioactivities. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011 Nov 17. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Crist BL, Alekel DL, Ritland LM et al. Association of Oxidative Stress, Iron, and Centralized Fat Mass in Healthy Postmenopausal Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2009 June; 18(6): 795—801. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2008.0988. 2009.
- Evans EM, Racette SB, Van Pelt RE et al. Effects of soy protein isolate and moderate exercise on bone turnover and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2007; 14(3 Pt 1): 481—488. doi: 10.1097/01.gme.0000243570.78570.f7. 2007.
- Fumi H, Andy L, Colin B et al. Soy consumption and risk of COPD and respiratory symptoms: a case-control study in Japan. Respiratory Research Year: 2009 Vol: 10 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 56. 2009.
- Gundermann KJ, Kuenker A, Kuntz E et al. Activity of essential phospholipids (EPL) from soybean in liver diseases. Pharmacol Rep. 2011;63(3):643-59. 2011.
- Hara A, Sasazuki S, Inoue M et al. Isoflavone intake and risk of gastric cancer: a population-based prospective cohort study in Japan. Am J Clin Nutr January 2012, vol. 95, no. 1, pages 147-154. 2012.
- Japakaset J, Wongkhalaung C, Leelawatcharama V et al. Utilization of soybean residue to produce monacolin K -cholesterol lowering agent. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology Year: 2009 Vol: 31 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 35-39. 2009.
- Jenkins DJ, Jones PJ, Lamarche B et al. . Effect of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods given at 2 levels of intensity of dietary advice on serum lipids in hyperlipidemia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011 Aug 24;306(8):831-9. 2011.
- Keiko T, Satoshi S, Kentaro M et al. Relationship between soy and isoflavone intake and periodontal disease: The Freshmen in Dietetic Courses Study II. BMC Public Health Year: 2008 Vol: 8 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 39. 2008.
- Kim SH, Kim HM, Ye YM et al. Evaluating the Allergic Risk of Genetically Modified Soybean. Yonsei Med J. 2006 August 31; 47(4): 505—512. 2006.
- Klein MA, Nahin RL, Messina MJ et al. Guidance from an NIH Workshop on Designing, Implementing, and Reporting Clinical Studies of Soy Interventions. The Journal of Nutrition 2010, 140(6): 1192S-1204S. 2010.
- Lammersfeld CA, King J, Walker S et al. Prevalence, sources, and predictors of soy consumption in breast cancer. Nutr J. 2009; 8: 2. Published online 2009 January 22. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-8-2. 2009.
- Lampe JW. Is equol the key to the efficacy of soy foods?. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1664S-1667S. Epub 2009 Apr 8. 2009.
- Lanou AJ. Soy foods: are they useful for optimal bone health? . Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease December 2011 vol. 3 no. 6 293-300. 2011.
- Maskarinec G, Watts K, Kagihara J et al. Urinary Isoflavonoid Excretion is Similar after Consuming Soy Milk and Miso Soup in Japanese-American Women. Br J Nutr. 2008 August; 100(2): 424—429. 2008.
- Merritt JC. Metabolic syndrome: soybean foods and serum lipids. J Natl Med Assoc. 2004 August; 96(8): 1032—1041. 2004.
- Messina M and Messina V. The Role of Soy in Vegetarian Diets. Nutrients 2010, Vol: 2 Issue: 8, pages 855-888. 2010.
- Michelfelder A. Soy: A Complete Source of Protein. American Family Physician79. 1 (Jan 1, 2009): 43-7. 2009.
- Moller NP, Scholz-aherns KE, Roos N et al. Bioactive peptides and proteins from foods: indication for health effects. European Journal of Nutrition 47(4) (Jun 2008): 171-82. 2008.
- Nanri A, Mizoue T, Takahashi Y et al. Soy Product and Isoflavone Intakes Are Associated with a Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Overweight Japanese Women. The Journal of Nutrition 140(3) (Mar 2010): 580-6. 2010.
- Ng TB, Wong JH, and Fang EF. Defensins and other biocidal proteins from bean seeds with medicinal activities. Curr Med Chem. 2011 Dec 1;18(36):5644-54. 2011.
- Noroozi M, Zavoshy R and Jahanihashemi H. The effects of low calorie diet with soy protein on cardiovascular risk factors in hyperlipidemic patients. Pak J Biol Sci. 2011 Feb 15;14(4):282-7. 2011.
- Ollberding NJ, Lim U, Wilkens LR et al. Legume, Soy, Tofu, and Isoflavone Intake and Endometrial Cancer Risk in Postmenopausal Women in the Multiethnic Cohort Study. JNCI J Natl Cancer Inst (2011) doi: 10.1093/jnci/djr475. First published online: December 12, 2011. 2011.
- Pan HC, Yang DY, Ho SP et al. . Escalated regeneration in sciatic nerve crush injury by the combined therapy of human amniotic fluid mesenchymal stem cells and fermented soybean extracts, Natto. Journal of Biomedical Science 2009, 16:75 (23 August 2009). 2009.
- Patisaul HB and Jefferson W. The pros and cons of phytoestrogens. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2010 October; 31(4): 400—419. 2010.
- Tilghman SL, Boue SM and Burow ME. lyceollins, a Novel Class of Antiestrogenic Phytoalexins. cular and Cellular Pharmacology Year: 2010 Vol: 2 Issue: 4 Pages/record No.: 155-160. 2010.
- Tucker KL, Quiao N and Maras JE. Simulation with Soy Replacement Showed That Increased Soy Intake Could Contribute to Improved Nutrient Intake Profiles in the U.S. Population. The Journal of Nutrition140. 12 (Dec 2010): 2296S-2301S. 2010.
- Velasquez MT and Bhathena SJ. Role of Dietary Soy Protein in Obesity. Int J Med Sci. 2007; 4(2): 72—82. 2007.
- Vij S, Hati S and Yadav D. Biofunctionality of Probiotic Soy Yoghurt. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2(5) (Jul 2011): 502-509. 2011.
- Whent M, Lv J, Luthria DL et al. Isoflavone Composition and Antioxidant Capacity of Modified-Lipoxygenase Soybeans Grown in Maryland. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Nov 28. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Yang WS, Va P, Wong MY et al. Soy intake is associated with lower lung cancer risk: results from a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies. Am J Clin Nutr December 2011 vol. 94 no. 6 1575-1583. 2011.
- Yimit D, Hoxur P, Amat N et al. Effects of soybean peptide on immune function, brain function, and neurochemistry in healthy volunteers. Nutrition. 2011 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.