The shiitake mushrooms in this recipe have long been known as a symbol of longevity in Asia because of their health-promoting properties have been used medicinally by the Chinese for more than 6,000 years. No health benefit is better documented for shiitake mushroom than immune support. On the one hand, numerous studies have shown the ability of whole shiitake mushrooms to help prevent excessive immune system activity. On the other hand, an equal number of studies have shown the ability of shiitake mushrooms to help stimulate immune system responses under certain circumstances. The cruciferous vegetables, broccoli and napa cabbage, add an additional powerhouse of nutrients to your WHFoods 7-Day Meal Plan. Enjoy this Asian-style bowl; it's a meal-in-one! Note: You will need to prepare 1/2 cup brown rice for this meal. This can be done ahead of time. Follow directions on package for best results.
Shiitake Sesame Chicken Rice Bowl
Note: This recipe is served with 1/2 cup brown rice which can be done ahead of time.
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup scallions (green onion), with white part, cut into one inch pieces
- 3 TBS low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 oz chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- tamari soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: red chili flakes to taste
- Mince garlic and scallions and let sit 5 minutes.
- Separate broccoli florets with small stems from the large, thick stem. Slice smaller stems into 1/4-inch pieces. Slice florets into 4-6 pieces. (You can also do this step in the food processor, using the s-blade).
- Heat broth in a stainless steel skillet with the lid on.
- When broth begins to steam, add ginger, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes, covered.
- Add chicken and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes adding 1-2 TBS broth as needed.
- Add broccoli (stems and florets) and scallions, and continue to sauté for another 4 minutes, covered.
- Add rice vinegar, and olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and more soy sauce to taste.
- Serve over 1 cup brown rice in a large bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Note: If you wish to use the large broccoli stem, cut off the bottom 1 inch of the stem. Peel the tough skin off the stem. Chop stem into 1/8 inch pieces.