The garlic and mirin add an ethnic twist to this easy-to-prepare seafood dish.
Seafood Asparagus with Garlic Mirin Sauce
Note: You will need to prepare 1/2 cup brown rice for this meal. This can be done ahead of time.
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 TBS chicken or vegetable broth (plus more as needed)
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced crimini mushrooms, quartered and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups thin asparagus, cut in 2" lengths (discard bottom fourth)
- 1/4 lb cod fillet cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS mirin wine
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and white pepper and tamari soy sauce to taste
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 2 TBS broth in a 12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy Saute onion in broth over medium high heat for 2 minutes, covered. Add remaining 1 TB broth, ginger, garlic, and mushrooms. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. You may need to turn down the heat.
- Add asparagus, cod and shrimp, lemon juice, mirin, red pepper flakes, and tamari and stir to mix well. Add 1-2 TBS additional broth if needed. Cover and simmer for just about 5 minutes on medium heat. The fish and shrimp will be opaque when done.
- Turn off heat and toss in tomatoes and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.